Survival tips for College and University
Exams are almost out of the way and we’ve hit this year’s half way mark. If you’re off to study away from home next year, or even taking a gap year abroad, the survival tips for college and university below will stand you in good stead for looking after yourself!
How to make up your duvet
– Turn the duvet cover inside out
– Place your hands inside to duvet cover, to the top corners (as if you were putting on a jumper)
– Grab the top top two corners of your duvet and slip the cover over until it totally consumes the duvet. Remember to button/popper the duvet cover at the bottom to stop your duvet falling out!
– Follow the same steps for your pillows too.
Top student grub recipe
Jacket potato and salad
1 large baking potato
1/4 iceberg lettuce
2 tomatoes (or 4 cherry tomatoes)
knob of butter
For the salad dressing:
1 Garlic clove
1tsp Wholegrain mustard
White wine vinegar
– Place the potato in the microwave for approx. 5 minutes (depending on its size), alternatively wrap it in foil and pop it in the over at 180 C for 1 hour.
– Chop the iceberg lettuce, cucumber, and tomatoes and arrange on half of your plate.
– To make the salad dressing use an empty jar and pour two glugs of olive oil, 1 glug of white wine vinegar, juice of half the lemon, crushed garlic clove and mustard into the jar. Put the lid on and shake well. Pour over your salad.
– Once the potato is cooked (test carefully with a small knife to see if it’s soft in the middle), cut it open and add the butter and grated cheese.
Getting your student loan in one lump can make it hard to manage, but here are some tips to make it last:
– Allow a weekly food budget and ALWAYS make a shopping list. Online shopping is great for this as you can see exactly what you’re spending as you go along. BOGOF and 2-for-1 offers are tempting, but spread them out over the weeks if the items aren’t essential.
– Get your loan paid into different account and set up a standing order to move a certain amount from this account into your student account each month.
– Remember your rent and bills – you might be in halls of residence for your first year, but if you’re renting don’t forget to allow for rent and bills each month. Instead of getting a landline telephone look for the best mobile phone deals – it’ll save a lot of arguing over who made which calls!
– Don’t forget to save some of your student loan or allowance towards your yearbook!
More survival tips for college and university next week. Tweet your own tips @SPCYearbooks